USDA SOIL TEXTURING FIELD FLOW CHART
By Midwest GeoSciences Group
(click to enlarge)
"Help yourself to think on your feet in the field"
DETERMINE SOIL TEXTURE WITH CONFIDENCE
- Soil Science and Soil Classifying
- Agronomic Studies
- Septic System Design and Performance for Perc Tests
- Supplemental Classification for Engineering Projects
Description and Benefits:
Single-sided, plastic-coated guide for assisting with soil texturing procedures and assigning a Texture Class using the USDA texture triangle. The Flow Chart uses step-wise procedures (adopted from Foth and others, 1992) for estimating sand, silt, and clay content. Use it to:
- Classify USDA soil texture easily and rapidly – in the field.
- Reproduce consistent soil texturing results (no pun intended).
- Determine Subclass and Textural Class Modifiers, when appropriate.
- Learn contrasts with other soil classification systems to avoid confusion.
- Comes with detailed Instructional Reference Pages
The Flow Chart applies the standard ribboning procedures to estimate the fine-grained fraction followed by placing the fraction within the texture triangle to determine Texture Class (ex: sandy loam). The guide provides instruction for determining Subclass (ex: fine sandy loam) and assigning Textural Class Modifiers for rock fragments greater than 2mm (ex: gravelly silt loam) and organic Compositional Textural Modifiers (ex: peaty sandy clay loam).
Those who purchased this item, may also purchase:
USDA CALIBRATED SOIL TEXTURE KIT
Now soil scientists, geologists, and engineers can practice and calibrate the accuracy of their soil texturing skills!
University of Florida Fact Sheet SL-29
University of Cornell Fact Sheet 29
Become A Member
It's Free, It's Easy and as a
Member you'll enjoy...
- Exclusive Videos
- Special Pricing
- And Much More
Welcome to our On-Demand Webinars